Easy Spanakopita Rolls
April 3, 2020
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek recipe made by filling a flaky, butter pastry with a deliciously cheesy spinach & feta mixture! Ethnic foods can be intimidating to make at home but this easy recipe will leave you feeling like a pro and only takes only minutes to prepare! Try this delicious recipe paired with a bottle of Suhru Shiraz!
- 1 package of Phyllo Dough (defrosted according to package)
- 1 package of Frozen Spinach (defrosted)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups Feta Cheese
- Dried or Fresh Dill
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 stick of Melted Butter (cooled)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Plain Greek Yoghurt for Dipping
- In a frypan, lightly brown one chopped onion.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Add spinach and stir until just warm.
- Empty the spinach and onion mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the cheese, juice of half a lemon, dill, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean working surface, cover the unused sheets with a damp towel until ready to use.
- Brush the sheet with melted butter and cover with another sheet of dough. Make a little line of filling at the end of the dough and roll up spreading the melted butter as you go.
- Cut the roll into two or three pieces, depending on how big you want each roll.
- Place the rolls on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with more butter and top with sesame seeds. Continue until you are out of filling.
- Bake the rolls for 20 - 25 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with greek yogurt or sour cream for dipping.
- Pair with a bottle of Suhru Shiraz and enjoy!