Almond Shortbread Cookies
December 19, 2022
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 8 ozs softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tsps almond extract (divided)
- Whisk flour and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add sugar and almond extract and continue to beat until pale and fluffy.
- Slowly add flour mixture to your wet misture and mix on low speed, scraping sides regularly until flour is just incorporated and dough sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm (at least an hour).
- Once dough has chilled, remove from fridge and let soften a few minutes. In the meantime, line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Flour the counter and your rolling pin and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to create desired shapes. Repeat until all dough has been used.
- Bake until golden, 13-15 minutes and let cool completely before decorating.
Icing: Stir together confectioners sugar, water, and almond extract to desired consistency. Add food coloring as desired and decorate!
Recommended Suhru Wine to enjoy while Baking: Sparkling Brut!