What's to Come in 2023
It’s a big year for Suhru—2023 marks five years in our Cutchogue Tasting House and fifteen (wow that went fast!) years making Suhru Wines. We officially opened our Tasting House doors in May of 2018 and since then have worked every day to cultivate the friendly, inviting, relaxed tasting room experience that you know and love!
I am very proud of how the Suhru team has managed the storms of the past few years and am excited to share that in 2023 we will be launching a number of the projects that we have been working on.
We are continuing to grow the Suhru Portfolio with the addition of THREE new wines this year! On February 1st we will be releasing the first Suhru Merlot, this classic old-world style red is a beautiful representation of North Fork Merlot and a staple of Long Island Wine Country. Merlot is wonderfully well suited to our cool, maritime climate with consistent ripening and excellent aging potential. At Suhru, we are making a medium-bodied, soft tannin Merlot aged for 9 months in Hungarian oak barrels, setting it apart in style from the majority of Merlots made in this region. An elegant wine with red fruit, hints of cardamom, tarragon and anise on the nose, with red cherries, currants and raspberry on the palate; this wine has a light hint of vanilla and a seamless, silky finish.
Later this Spring we will be releasing an exciting and little known new white wine that is quite different from anything else you are seeing on Long Island at the moment. And if that isn’t enticing enough, we are pleased to share that towards the end of 2023 we will be releasing a Petit Verdot, a highly anticipated red for Suhru that we will only be making in the best of vintages!
There are a lot of things happening this year that I am excited for, but none of them more so than the addition of New Events. It’s going to be a busy year so get your calendars ready!
- New Happy Hour—Wednesdays & Thursdays from 3-6pm featuring glass specials and weekly small plates!
- Suhru Sommelier—monthly Comparative Tasting & Continuing Wine Education classes led by in-house wine expert Beth Santosuosso. These exciting classe will be held on the third Sunday of each month starting in February. Learn More
- Southold Bay Oysters Return on Sunday, May 28th of Memorial Day Weekend and Sunday, September 3rd of Labor Day Weekend from 1-5pm.
- Fireside Fridays—these fun Friday evening events are back with extended hours starting May 26th and running through October 6th the Tasting House will be open until 7pm on Fridays with outdoor fire pits lit at 4:30pm.
- Save the Date for our First Annual Suhru Summer BBQ which will be held on Sunday, July 30th with Winemaker Russell Hearn and Assistant Winemaker Brad Ulrich on the grill!
Amongst all the changes this year, we are making a slight change to our hours. We will now be open Wednesdays - Sundays year round, Closed weekly on Mondays & Tuesdays and select holidays throughout the year including Easter Sunday, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day.
The Tasting House is getting a facelift this year with lots of changes happening both indoors and out. get excited for the return of bar seating, a fresh new look in the Wine Garden, some new furniture making its debut and a plethora of other changes coming to the Tasting House! We will be continuing to make changes throughout the entirety of 2023 so be sure to stop in and see what we have been up to!
More to Come—and if that’s not enough, (I told you we’ve been busy!) we have a few more surprises up our sleeves for 2023 so stay tuned for more special events, food pairings, wine dinners, and more!