Cooking With Suhru: Easy Spanakopita Rolls
Easy Spanakopita RollsSpanakopita is a traditional Greek recipe made by filling a flaky, butter pastry with a deliciously cheesy spinach & feta mixture! Ethnic foods can be intimidating to make at home but this easy recipe will leave you feeling like a pro and only takes only minutes to prepare!
A very good friend of mine (who happens to be Greek) introduced me to this recipe a few years back and it has become a go to of mine for dinner parties (remember those?!) and what I like to call "picnic dinners". For those of you who aren't familiar, a picnic dinner is a dinner comprised of a number of snacks and apps that you could take to the beach or the park but if its cold outside, currently a pandemic, or if you're just feeling lazy (me most of the time) can be enjoyed from the comfort of your living room!
Regardless of the setting, this delicious and oh-so-easy receipe is sure to please! Try these delicious bites paired with a bottle of T'Jara Merlot or Suhru Shiraz, both excellent pairings to compliment the richness of the dish!
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Have and request or dishes you have been craving? Comment below and I will add them to my must-cook list and report back in the weeks to come!
Easy Spanakopita Rolls
- 1 package of Phyllo Dough (defrosted according to package)
- 1 package of Frozen Spinach (defrosted)
- large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1.5 cups of Feta Cheese
- dried or fresh Dill
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 stick of melted butter (cooled)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- plain Greek yoghurt for dipping
- Prepare the filling by first lightly browning the onion, add the garlic and sauté for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- While th vegetables are cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once onion and garlic have softened, add the spinach and stir until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion and spinach mixture with the feta cheese, juice of half a lemon, dill, salt, and pepper and mix and set aside.
- On a clean work surface, lay out one sheet of fully defrosted phyllo dough. Cover the unused sheets with a damp towel until ready to use.
- Brush your phyllo dough sheet with melted butter and cover with another sheet of dough.
- Turning your dough so the long edge is closest to you, portion a small line of filling on the left-side shorter edge of your dough. Brush dough to the right of your spinach mixture with a light coat of butter.
- Slowly, roll up the dough, tucking as you go to ensure a tight roll. Place the roll with the exposed edge down and cut the roll into two or three pieces, depending on preference.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the rolls on the baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart, seam side down. Repeat until all filling miture has been used.
- Brush your rolls with the remaining melted butter and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake the rolls for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with greek yogurt or sour cream dipping sauce.